Thursday 20 January 2011

The Devils - The X-sorcist - People Records



Booooooooo!!!

I hope you’re all Halloweened up to the nines and ready for today’s spooky offering.
As I’ve mentioned on many an occasion, I’m an avid collector of James Brown’s People record label. When I started to think about a Halloween post The Devils 1974 track ‘The X-sorcist’ on the label immediately sprang to mind.
This is a full on psych-funk excursion with frog ‘ribbits’ and other experimental sound effects for good measure. Unlike anything else on the label it still has the usual extremely tight band and JB production undertones.

Digging about Google, I found out that this was the probable line up for the 45:

Fred Wesley (ARP synthesizer)

Maceo Parker (alto sax)

Lew Soloff (trumpet)

Michael Gipson (trombone)

Joe Farrell (tenor sax)

Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis (baritone sax)

Joe Beck and Charlie Brown (guitars)

Gordon Edwards (bass)

Jimmy Madison (drums)

Sue Evans (percussions)


Strangely I would have put money on James Brown playing the keys, but it appears Fred Wesley steps up on this one.
The single was released in March 1974 to coincide and possibly cash in on the opening of the blockbuster movie ‘The Exorcist’.

That’s just about it for today, I’ll be back after the weekend with some more of the ‘Good Stuff’ as well as the finalized details of our upcoming ‘New Years Eve Soul Special’ night which will be held outside of London. With just a few more I’s to dot and T’s to cross this one is shaping up nicely at the moment!!
Stay safe and we’ll see you back here soon!




No comments: